The keys to designing and building for sustainable nature play.
Founder & Principal Designer
About The Workshop
This workshop focuses on the importance of selection and placement of plant material that will support purposeful play and design while maximizing educational principles needed for any playground. Choosing plant material tends to be overlooked or discounted during the design process but it’s an important feature for any outdoor space. Participants will learn the what, where and why of planting shrubs, trees and soft plantings in the playground. The right vegetation provides shade, opportunities for play, engages our senses, assists with the flow of traffic and provides an inviting space to gather and connect. Join us for a hands-on workshop that will reinforce the importance of good, sound, design principles. Thoughtful placement of plant material will support the maintenance and success needed for all playgrounds.
- Understanding the value of plant materials in the playground.
- Identifying the correct size and type of vegetation for the desired outcome.
- Transforming flow patterns and intended use of space with the use of vegetation.
- Building foundations for a deeper respect and understanding of natural landscapes and biodiversity.
- Learning the impact that plant size and placement can have on the way that children play.