Bienenstock Playgrounds is a leader in the development of natural playgrounds. We’re committed and passionate about sharing our expertise and insight of design and construction. We are advocates of this movement, sharing our knowledge worldwide. We believe in improving the experiences of kids in their playgrounds. Our team includes award winning designers, architects, planners and educators who are united by their belief in the need to craft outdoor spaces that support children’s development through immersive experiences with nature.
We are looking for an energetic and skilled horticulturist to join our team through the design and construction of one of America’s greatest Natural Playgrounds.
The right candidate will take over all maintenance of this 15 acre park as we complete phase 1 this fall, with a full project handoff to you in the Spring of 2022.
This is a rare opportunity to learn from the best and then make it your own. The $5 million Design/Build is overseen by Adam Bienenstock, the lead designer is Helle Nebelong, and the project consultants include Tim Gill and Sharon Gamson Danks. This is truly a dream job for anyone dedicated to connecting children to nature.
The perfect candidate has a great attitude, a passion for connecting children to nature, experience in environmental education, and certifications in Landscape Horticulture and Arboriculture.
Will provide 6 months free housing nearby to help you get settled.
This really is the opportunity of a lifetime!
- Maintain plant material, horticultural displays and tree material in the natural playground.
- Inspect plants, flowering shrubs and trees and report, manage, and treat damage, insect infestation or disease.
- Performs park maintenance such as replacing plant material as needed and repairing damage to the natural playground horticultural components.
- Maintain natural playground surfacing including meadow grounds, impact rated surfacing, and pathways.
- Responds to horticultural questions from staff and public.
- May be required to perform landscaping functions such as sodding and minor landscape construction/maintenance.
- Must be flexible to help out with athletic field maintenance, groundskeeping, and playground maintenance district wide.
Your resume must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Diploma or certificate in horticulture or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Considerable experience as a practicing arborist with ISA Certified arborist certification.
- Previous experience in a botanical garden setting.
- Possess a valid class A CDL license or be able to obtain it within 45 days of hire.
- Formal background or experience in Outdoor education or Environmental education and training
- possess a Certified playground safety inspector (CPSI) certification through National Recreation and Park Association or be able to obtain it within 45 days of hire.
- Possess an Illinois Pesticide/Applicator license or be able to obtain it within 45 days of hire.
- Commercial mowing and grounds maintenance experience.
- Must be available for snow removal 24/7
You will also be required to demonstrate:
- A good knowledge of plant materials and the ability to propagate and grow a wide variety of plants for the beautification of park areas, maintaining an authentic connection to nature.
- Ability to arrange, plant and maintain perennials, shrubs and trees according to the best horticultural methods and to achieve an attractive appearance while further considering sensory experience and play value.
- Ability to recognize insect pests, diseases and weeds and to treat them in the most effective manner.
- Appreciation of the water requirements of plants.
- Ability to safely operate and complete daily maintenance and upkeep on mowers and grounds equipment.
- The successful candidate must be organized and able to prioritize tasks to complete them in a timely and safe professional manner.
- Basic computer Skills.
- Ability to read basic operating instructions and write reports.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public and work in collaboration with school staff and teams.
- All other duties as assigned by the Manager of Special Maintenance, Grounds, Warehouse, and Operations.
We look forward to hearing from you!