Exploring the outdoors and spending time in nature has incredible benefits for children’s physical, mental, and emotional health. Here are some ways nature is beneficial to children:
- Promotes Physical Activity: Nature provides an endless playground for children to run, climb, jump, and play which helps in boosting physical activity among children. Outdoor activities also promote better sleep and overall physical fitness.
- Boosts Cognitive Functioning: Natural settings encourage exploration, imagination, observation, and creativity in children. Exposure to the landscape and surroundings helps in improving cognitive ability, attention span, and memory.
- Reduces Stress and Anxiety: Being out in nature has also been proven to help children reduce their levels of stress and anxiety. It provides a space where they can relax, unwind, and let their guard down, and they are enveloped by the soothing sounds and beauty of nature.
- Enhances Social Skills: Playing outside, in parks, or on camping trips is a great way to enhance social skills. Nature brings people of all backgrounds and ages together, promoting empathy, cooperation, and collaboration.
- Improves Mental Health: Spending time outdoors has been clinically proven to alleviate depression, ADHD, and anxiety in children. Natural surroundings provide a calming and relaxing environment which helps reduce stress levels in children.
- Encourages Environmental Stewardship: Nature appreciation at an early age has been shown to foster concern for the environment in future generations. Children who spend time outdoors develop an understanding and appreciation for the environment which encourages them to become responsible stewards in the future.
- Improves Academic Performance: Studies have shown that time spent in nature improves academic performance. Time spent in nature helps in reducing children’s stress which leads to better academic performance as a result.
Nature’s influence on childhood development and well-being has been well-documented across multiple studies. A well-designed natural playground , allows children to enjoy nature in locations where they normally can’t like at schools and city parks. A natural playground is becoming the standard of the future of playgrounds.